Frequently Asked Questions


Is the Arizona City Sanitary District part of the town of Arizona City?

No, Arizona City is an unincorporated town; there are no city government officials.  The Arizona City Sanitary District is a government entity that was formed as a special taxing district (like a school or improvement district) in accordance with state statutes on May 27, 1968.          

What day do you pick up my garbage?

We don’t!  The Arizona City Sanitary District provides only sewer service for the Arizona City area.  For questions regarding your trash collection, please contact Arizona City Sanitation Service. 

Arizona City Sanitation Service 
9373 W. Battaglia Dr. 
Arizona City, AZ 85123 

Billing & Payment

How much are the sewer user fees for my residence?

For residential units, the current rate is $29.00 a month billed at $87.00 per quarter in July, October, January, and April per unit for all residential users.  Commercial rates are based on type of business.  See the current Sewer Service Fees for specific information on rates and fees. 

If my house is vacant, do I still have to pay sewer user fees?

Yes, sewer user fees are charged to all properties in Arizona City regardless of usage or occupancy, as the fees are needed to maintain and operate the sewer collection and treatment systems.  The Sanitary District has no way to monitor usage. 

Can you automate my payments?

Yes, our Auto-Pay program can automatically deduct the quarterly payment from a checking or savings account approximately five (5) days prior to the bill due date.  The program requires a signed application and a copy of a voided check.  Please allow 1 to 2 weeks to process this request. 

We also offer online payment options.  With this method, you may pay your bill with a credit card or debit card carrying the Visa, Discover or MasterCard logo. 

What types of payments do you accept?

The Arizona City Sanitary District accepts several types of payments:  Cash**, Check, Money Orders, Credit Cards and Debit Cards with the Visa, Discover, or MasterCard logo. There are no extra charges for any card payments done by phone or website.  Many individuals use the online banking payments.  These types of payments are not electronic from your banking institution to our banking institution; your bank sends a paper check via United States Postal Service. The date that they mail it to us is the date they debit it from your bank account.We recommend processing your payment 10 days prior to the due date of the bill to avoid any delinquency.  Once we receive the check in the mail we post it to your account.  Ensure your account information is correct to avoid any delays in processing. 

 Cash** – We do not accept cash for payment of Sewer Service Connection Permits; new builds.

How do I address concerns or problems I have with District fees?

If you would like to address your concerns regarding our fees, you may write a letter to the Arizona City Sanitary District‘s Board of Directors.  You may also address the Board of Directors at one of our monthly board meetings.  The meetings are the second Wednesday of each month at the Sanitary Districts office at 4:00 pm.  If you wish to address the board at a meeting call the Administration Office for the procedure and time/date of the next available board meeting.   


Who is the Arizona City Sanitary District? What service do you provide?

The Arizona City Sanitary District Wastewater Treatment Plant is located at 12922 S. Kashmir Road, Arizona City, Arizona (the southwest corner of Battaglia Dr. and Kashmir Rd.). The Wastewater Treatment Plant has the capability of treating 1.5 million gallons of wastewater per day (MGD). The treatment plant processes consist of: 

  1. An Influent Pump Station
  2. Headworks, consisting of screening and grit removal
  3. Odor Control
  4. Three Sequencing Batch Reactors (SBR’s) Biological Treatment
  5. An emergency Raw Water Holding Basin
  6. An Effluent Equalization Basin
  7. Three Traveling Bridge Sand Filters
  8. An Ultraviolet Disinfection System
  9. Two sets of Effluent Pumps
  10. An Aerobic Digester
  11. A Belt Filter Press 

Wastewater entering the facility from the collection system is pumped by the Influent Pumping Station through the Headworks Facility consisting of screening and grit removal equipment. The flow is then cycled through the Sequencing Batch Reactors to receive biological treatment. Discharges from the SBR’s are sent to the Effluent Equalization Basin where they are pumped through the Sand Filters, then on to the UV Disinfection. Discharging point for the Sanitary District are Arizona City Golf course, recharge ponds, farmer for irrigation use, and the Santa Cruz wash under AZPDES Permit. The Effluent is classified as Class B+ reclaimed water. 

My drains are clogged and sewage is backing up in my drains. What should I do?

First, call the Sanitary District during normal business hours; we will send a representative out to check the main sewer line to make sure the main line is free flowing.  The representative will inform you whether or not the main line is clear and then advise you to call a plumber.  The Arizona City Sanitary District is responsible for the main line only and the home owner is responsible for the line that runs from their home to the main line.  Most times a blockage occurs when roots from landscaping grow into the sewer service line.   

After Hours Service Call Policy – If the call is after normal working hours the Arizona City Sanitary District will respond and determine if the issue is in the sewer main line.  If the problem is our responsibility there will be no charge to the home owner.    If the problem is within the home owners’ line the homeowner will be charged an invoiced $170.00 net 15 days. 

What cannot be flushed down the drain or discharged to the sewer system?

Are baby wipes and other “flushable” wipes really flushable? 

The term flushable means that a single wipe will pass through the plumbing of a toilet.  It does not mean that the wipes will not accumulate in your plumbing pipes and cause a serious back-up.  Plumbing clogs in the sewer service on private property are the responsibility of the property owner, not the Sanitary District’s. 

Baby and flushable wipes are not biodegradable, meaning they do not break down in the transport or treatment of wastewater as toilet paper does.  Wastewater collection systems (sewers) and treatment facilities were not designed to handle a significant amount of wipes.  A considerable amount of time, labor and money are expended removing wipes from sewers, wastewater pumping stations, and treatment plants. 

PLEASE DON’T FLUSH WIPES!  Use a trash can instead. 

Here are some of the most common items that should never be put down the drain or toilet: 

  • Acne pads
  • Band-aids
  • Coffee Grounds
  • Condoms
  • Cottonballs
  • Dental floss
  • Diapers
  • Drinking straws
  • Egg shells
  • Feminine hygeine products
  • Flammables
  • Hair
  • Insecticides
  • Kitty litter of ANY kind
  • Needles
  • Nursing pads
  • Paint
  • Paper towels
  • Pesticides
  • Plastic
  • Q-tips
  • Rags
  • Razor blades
  • Toothpicks
  • Wipes of ANY kind


I want to construct a wall, shed, or pool on my property. Do I need to contact the Arizona City Sanitary District first?

Yes, before you construct a wall, shed, or pool you must find out if there are any easements on your property that may affect utilities.  The Sanitary District will come out and mark where you can build a wall.  Walls that are built in the alley/easement     run the risk of being removed at owner’s expense if there is any repair work to be done.  This applies to all utilities. 

Pools construction – the Sanitary District can give the homeowner a copy of a map (99% of the time) that shows the approximate location of the sewer line that runs from the house to the main.  If the line is laid where the pool is to be built and you have to relocate the line a representative of the Sanitary District must come to the location and redraw the map. 

I am building a house in Arizona City. What do I need to provide the Sanitary District?

Connecting to the Arizona City Sanitary District main sewer lines without a Sewer Service Connection Permit is illegal.  It is considered “Tampering with a Utility”.   

Owners or Builders must obtain said permit from that Sanitary District office.  Documentation needed to issue the permit is a copy of the Pinal County Building Permit and Approved Site (Plot Plan).  To find out more information regarding the Sewer Service Connection Permit call the Sanitary Districts Administration office.